Monday, August 27, 2007

Rex's 1st Day of School



Well, today was the day that Rex officially became a Kindergartener! It was a very exciting morning. I woke him up early, and he ate a good breakfast (cheese omelet, bananas, and milk) before getting ready for school. Then, backpack in hand, he headed out the door for the short walk to the school.







Mr. Serious Rex ... I think he is still half asleep in this picture.










C. T. Eddins Elementary









It is wonderful to be so close to the school! I love that we only have to cross the street, and walk up this sidewalk to the school's front door.










Rex and Daddy pause for a picture before heading up the remaining walkway to the doors of the school.








Almost there...












The hallway was very crowded with staff, parents, and children heading to class. Rex was not intimidated in the least by all the activity. He hustled through the crowd toward his classroom like an old pro.






Rex rounds the corner into his classroom.









Rex heads over to the cubbies to put up his backpack before finding his seat.








Camille and Rex play with the bears at their seats.







Rex's table with friends Camille, Logan, and Madison.









Ready for a fun first day.








I just had to give my sweet boy some sugar before leaving him for the day.





Daddy shares some last minute words of wisdom with Rex before we go.











The classroom is already full of activity and the day has just begun.





Bye Rex! Have a fantastic first day!










Post School Day Report:
Mara and I headed over to the school to pick Rex up this afternoon. It was very hot, and we had to wait for quite a while. Finally, his class came out of the building, and I snapped these pictures. When Rex saw me, his first words were, "I just had kinda a not good day." Of course, my heart just sank. The whole class filed out of the Kindergarten doors and proceeded up the sidewalk to their designated areas. It was pretty chaotic to retrieve him from his teacher because the front of the school was a mass of parents, teachers, and clueless children, and I was trying to navigate the swarm pushing Mara in the stroller. We survived it though, and I'm sure that tomorrow will be easier.
I had a chance to visit with Rex about his day in detail on the walk home. Apparently, his teacher got onto him in the cafeteria because he got out of his seat several times(last night we discusses that he was not allowed to get out of his chair at the lunch table, so he already knew that was a rule). It turns out that he got up because he had a problem. He could not find the juice boxes that I packed in his lunchbox because they were in a different compartment from the other lunch items(I showed him where they were this morning, but I think he was too tired at the time, and it didn't register)...He thought that I'd forgotten to pack his drink. This led to him getting chocolate milk from the lunch line. (Now he's going to want me to "forget" his drink everyday because he loves chocolate milk) I feel bad that I contributed to his confusion that led to him getting into trouble, but I think he'll remember the rule about staying in your seat in the cafeteria from now on.
I really think that he had a good first day. He told me that his favorite thing was playing in the home center during center time, and that he had two new girlfriends named Camille and Madison (the girls that sit at his table). He got a blue star stamped in his take-home folder that indicates a "good day". I am very proud of my big boy!

2 comments:

Mama Jama said...

Wow! Sounds like a very exciting day! We are so proud of Rex, and can't believe how quickly he has grown up. We enjoyed viewing all of the pictures. We love y'all.

Jer, Lez, & Leyna

L. Mida said...

Can you believe we have kindergartners? Rex looks so big! I am anxious to follow the Dooley family's adventures in your new blog!